While folks gathered in their finery: spring dresses, shorts, and fashionable hats to watch the croquet match between St. John’s Collage and the U.S. Naval Academy, a fire burned on Maryland Avenue creating large plume of smoke. Smelling heavily of tobacco, the smoke came from burning building next to The Smoke Shop. Blocked to traffic, to give firefighters the opporunity to battle the blaze, the oldest shopping district in Annapolis suffered substantial property damage. Early speculation points to an electrical malfunction as the most likely culprit.
Fire on Maryland Avenue in Annapolis on April 17th during Croquet Match at St. John’s College